http://shop.katische.com/wp-content/uploads/what-is-estrogen.png 800 800 ausweb http://shop.katische.com/wp-content/uploads/Katische-Haberfield-10.png ausweb2019-10-24 09:45:282019-10-24 10:23:01What is Estrogen?
What is Estrogen?
- Estrogens are a group of sex hormones that promote the development and maintenance of female characteristics in the human body.
- They play an essential role in the growth and development of female secondary sexual characteristics, such as breasts, pubic and armpit hair, and the regulation of the menstrual cycle and reproductive system.
- During the menstrual cycle, estrogen produces an environment suitable for the fertilization, implantation, and nutrition of an early embryo.
- The ovaries are the main location for estrogen production but they are also produced in the hypothalamus in the brain.
What happens to Estrogen production during Perimenopause and Menopause?
- During the phase of transition from perimenopause to menopause, there is a larger drop in progesterone as compared to estrogen. This increased estrogen to progesterone ratio is a major player in the symptoms women experience.
- At menopause, there is relatively high estrogen compared to progesterone.
Want to learn more?
or, you can enroll in my Thrive in Perimenopause and Menopause online course!