Ever been to Napier in the North Island of New Zealand? Me neither, but luckily for me, I am surrounded by friends who love to travel as much as me! My friend and business partner Susan, travelled recently to Napier, and discovered that not only is it spectacularly beautiful, but it is a town filled with Art Deco charm, and amazing, food, wine and beer. What more could you ask for in a holiday destination?
Things to do in Napier
- Experience Art Deco by foot, vintage car or at Tremains Art Deco Festival
- Have a close encounter at The National Aquarium of New Zealand – feed the penguins or swim with the sharks
- Visit MTG Hawke’s Bay for local art and craft
- Grab a bike and cycle to Ahuriri and Westshore for fish and chips on the beach
- Visit the wineries or craft breweries of the region.
Susan visited Mission Estate Winery (Hawkes Bay), which was established in 1851 by French missionaries and is New Zealand’s oldest winery. She also went to Hawkes Bay Brewery for some craft beer and ciders. Susan’s favourite was the Black Duck dark ale, which has “bold flavours of toffee, burnt caramel, coffee and chocolate characterise this dark ale. Brewed with 5 malts in 18th century London style, it has an extended maturation process to develop complex and robust flavours.”
Napier’s art deco style is the result of the town being rebuilt after a 7.8 magnitude earthquake destroyed the city in 1931. There are 140 original Art Deco buildings managed by the Art Deco Trust.
“Napier’s decorative and colourful buildings which speak of the optimism and confidence of the early 20th century and of a small kiwi town as it tackled the task of recreating itself during the Great Depression”.
How to get there:
- Napier is a 5 hour drive from Auckland.
- Air New Zealand flies to Hawke’s Bay daily from Wellington, Auckland and Christchurch and Jetstar operates daily flights from Auckland. DreamTrips members can book through the DreamTrips booking reservations system to get the lowest airfare price guaranteed!
- 4 days and 3 nights in Napier, New Zealand.
- 3 breakfasts and 2 dinners
- 1 complimentary welcome drink in the Exchange Bar & Brasserie on day 1.
- welcome dinner in the hotel restaurant on day 1.
- 1 farewell dinner in the hotel restaurant on day 3.
- Return transfers to the Art Deco Centre, National Tobacco Company and art deco residential area.
- Admission to the art deco guided walk tour.
- A per-person New Zealand souvenir gift to commemorate your trip.
- Complimentary access to Ocean Spa Gym facilities.
- An In-destination Support team member will be provided on this trip. Their goal is to ensure you have a great DreamTrips™ experience from landing to liftoff. They host a welcome reception on arrival day, attend scheduled activities throughout the trip, notify the group of itinerary updates and more.
On Day 3 of this DreamTrip to Napier, Platinum Members will enjoy a guided bicycle tour from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. The 2-hour tour will be at a leisurely pace — staying local rather than venturing into the hilly suburbs. Life is great when you’re a Platinum Member!
The award-winning Scenic Hotel Te Pania is found at the edge of Hawke’s Bay, ideal for enjoying scenic sunrises, sunsets and ocean views. Its waterfront location is also perfect for guests wanting to walk to the beach, the art deco-style main street or the legendary Pania of the Reef statue. After a day of sightseeing, relax and enjoy the best of local wines, served at the on-site Exchange Brasserie and Bar.
Featured hotel amenities:
• 1 restaurant with indoor and outdoor seating.
• Complimentary access to Ocean Spa Gym facilities.
• 24-hour snack menu available.
Superior room accommodations with 1 king or 2 double beds.
• Maximum occupancy is 3 adults.
• Ocean views.
• Sky TV, coffee/tea making facilities and iron and ironing board.
• Minibar (contents vary and are at an additional cost).
• Complimentary in-room Wi-Fi.
Check-in: 2 p.m.
Check-out: 10 a.m.
Scenic Hotel Te Pania
45 Marine Parade
Napier South, Napier 4110
Want to find out more about how to go on this DreamTrip? Contact me at email@example.com or +61 411 040 688 or visit my DreamTrips membership site for further information about becoming a DreamTrips member.