Ever been to Napier in the North Island of New Zealand? Me neither, but luckily for me, I am surrounded by friends who love to travel as much as me! My friend Susan, travelled recently to Napier, and discovered that not only is it spectacularly beautiful, but it is a town filled with Art Deco charm, and amazing, food, wine and beer. What more could you ask for in a holiday destination?
Things to do in Napier
- If Susan’s video is anything to go by, then EATING!
- Experience Art Deco by foot, vintage car or at Tremains Art Deco Festival
- Have a close encounter at The National Aquarium of New Zealand – feed the penguins or swim with the sharks
- Visit MTG Hawke’s Bay for local art and craft
- Grab a bike and cycle to Ahuriri and Westshore for fish and chips on the beach
- Visit the wineries or craft breweries of the region.
Susan visited Mission Estate Winery (Hawkes Bay), which was established in 1851 by French missionaries and is New Zealand’s oldest winery. She also went to Hawkes Bay Brewery for some craft beer and ciders. Susan’s favourite was the Black Duck dark ale, which has “bold flavours of toffee, burnt caramel, coffee and chocolate characterise this dark ale. Brewed with 5 malts in 18th century London style, it has an extended maturation process to develop complex and robust flavours.”
Napier’s art deco style is the result of the town being rebuilt after a 7.8 magnitude earthquake destroyed the city in 1931. There are 140 original Art Deco buildings managed by the Art Deco Trust.
“Napier’s decorative and colourful buildings which speak of the optimism and confidence of the early 20th century and of a small kiwi town as it tackled the task of recreating itself during the Great Depression”.
How to get there:
- Napier is a 5 hour drive from Auckland.
- Air New Zealand flies to Hawke’s Bay daily from Wellington, Auckland and Christchurch and Jetstar operates daily flights from Auckland.
Please note that as at 2019, neither Katische or Susan are associated with DreamTrips, and recommend that you make your own travel arrangements via booking.com or your favourite travel provider. We still think Napier is a fantastic place to holiday though!
The map below links to Booking.com. Should you book accommodation or travel via this map, I will receive a small affiliate commission at no cost to you.