Marjoram essential oil is a fantastic essential oil to have in your toolkit for supporting you during perimenopause and menopause. Here’s why:
- Assist with fluid retention
- Eases the pain of sore joints and muscles by relaxing and calming constricting muscles (I know, it’s easier to get injured and harder to recover from our athletic “get fit again” endeavours as we hit middle life.
- Provides relief from abdominal cramping associated with your period.
- Regulates blood pressure
- Tones the sympathetic nervous system
- Provides relief for migraine (I prefer to use it in the diffuser with lavender and peppermint as a blend for maximum effect)
- Is a SEDATIVE essential oil, so assists with sleep-related issues. To find out more about sedative essential oils for sleep, purchase my “Sleep Soundly” ebook.
Emotional benefits of Marjoram Essential Oil in Perimenopause and Menopause
Marjoram essential oil is known as the oil of connection and is a great essential oil to use if you are experiencing relationship issues, as a result of the changes in your hormones.
It is quite normal during perimenopause and menopause to experience great changes in your moods and feel anger, frustration, and anxiety. This is due to the hormonal changes in your limbic system. The limbic system is the emotional regulator in your body and it is important for transmitting the chemical messages to our body from our mind, which we know as “emotions”.
The limbic system is closely linked to the olfactory system (your nose and mouth) and so inhaling essential oils which have emotional messages encoded in their chemical constituency is an effective way of managing and influencing your emotions.
Often in perimenopause and menopause, we come to that point in our life where we are fed up. We are hurt by our lifelong experiences in relationships with loved ones and people around us, and we can become bitter.
Often this leads to a feeling of being unable to trust others, or if we are single, or divorced, an inability to form meaningful relationships. When diffused, Marjoram essential oil softens the heart and helps heal past wounds. It restores a sense of trust and openness so that you can form relationships again.
Marjoram helps calm obsessive thinking, ease emotional craving and promote self-soothing and nurturing.
As a herb of love, it nourishes the place from where neediness springs. helping to restore the power to give…. It inspires contentment and compassion.Living Healthy & Happily Ever After by Rebecca Linder Hintze and Dr Susan Lawton.
Please note that it is important not to use Marjoram all the time as long term use can numb erotic sensations and diminish sex drive and decrease sexual function.
It can, however, be helpful if you have an overactive libido, which can be the case if you have been married for a long time and re-enter the dating scene after a divorce. In this situation blend equal parts of “Purify” Essential Oil blend with Geranium essential oil.
Make small circular motions starting 3 to 5 inches below the back of the neck and above the shoulder blades, moving upward to the neckline until the whole area is covered; sweep over and across the heart.
Affirmation: I am comfortable with myself and enjoy savoring pleasurable and appropriate experiences. I am secure in myself as a woman. I love all of me. I am safe.Living Healthy & Happily Ever After by Rebecca Linder Hintze and Dr Susan Lawton.
Marjoram essential oil should be used with caution in pregnancy – please dilute heavily and avoid using on your abdomen. Ensure your diffusing is also at a diluted ratio- it is suggested that you use only 1 drop in your blend. Consult with your healthcare provider for your personal needs.
Looking for additional information about Perimenopause and Menopause?
- Join our private Facebook Page
- Read our perimenopause and menopause blogs
- Empower yourself and sign up for the online Break the Taboo: Thrive in Perimenopause and Menopause Online Course