Frankincense Essential Oil and Cancer
This page is specifically about the benefits of Frankincense essential oil (not extract) for cancer patients. Please read my research page FIRST to determine the type of cancer. Most of the information here is predominately about PREVENTION, however, there is some important insights also for those with the disease. I do not diagnose or prescribe, so you will need to draw your own conclusions as to the usefulness of this essential oil.
Please note that this research is valid for pure therapeutic grade essential oils and not cheap synthetic imitations. I have confidence only in the doTERRA Frankincense due to the species selection and the specific growing, harvesting and distillation requirements which are part of the purity and therapeutic grade affects. The chemical constituents of Frankincense will vary from company to company depending upon how the oil is grown and sourced. A company which buys their essential oils from a distributor of oils can only vouch for the quality of the oil, according to the claim of the distributor. A company which controls the production and harvesting, distillation and bottling of the oil and the accompanying testing however, can have confidence in all aspects of the chemical composition of the oil.
The following information is distilled from “Frankincense” by Dr David Hill.
Frankincense is comprised of the following chemical compounds:
- Monoterpenes (78%)
- Alpha-pinene (anti bacterial, anti inflammatory, anti fungal, expectorant, anti carcinogenic)
- Beta-pinene (anti inflammatory and spasmodic)
- are formed in the mevaloinc acid pathways of paths (same as humans)
- aspects of cholesterol when it is metablized are involved in the growth of cancer
- Monoterpenes found in pure essential oils, interfere with cholesterol synthesis and reduce cholesterol levels in the body- slowing and reducing tumour formation
- Liver is important detoxifier in body and monoterpenes increase the level of liver enzymes involved in removing carcinogenic toxins, reducing the possibility that these carcinogens will damage individual cells.
- Stimulate the self destruct mechanism of cells (aptosis), which occurs when a cell’s DNA is badly damaged. Damaged cells can cause disease. Most frequent cause of DNA disruption are free radical damage, toxicity and poor nutrition.
- enable the essential oil to penetrate the blood-brain barrier
- possess anti-inflammatory activity by inhibiting the activation of NF-kappaB, proteins that are persistently active in a number of disease states including cancer, arthritis, chronic inflammation, asthma, neurodegerative diseases, and heart disease.
- can penetrate the blood-brain barrier, which provides protection needed to ensure that unwanted toxins and pathogens have a limited and potentially no access to your central nervous system.