Essential oil Research
What essential oils are being researched?
Please note that this research is based on the specific therapeutic plant. So not all oils are made from the same species. You need a therapeutic oil from the exact species for the effects to be possible in the identified types of cancer). Where possible I have linked to the original scientific published study.
- Frankincense essential oil (Boswellia carteri, Boswellia sacra) (ovarian, breast, liver, bladder, brain and lung cancer).
- Frankincense Boswellia resin extract (myeloid leukemia cells)
- Thyme Essential Oil (Thymus vulgaris CT Thymol) (for cytotoxicity towards three human cancer cells (PC-3, A549 and MF-7) Thymus vulgaris L., Lamiaceae
- Chamomile Essential Oil
- Arborvitae Essential Oil (Thuja plicata) (breast and colorectal tumour cells in vitro; human colon cancer cell tumours; human melanoma cells in vitro) Research based on the hinokitiol component of its chemical constituents. Hinokitiol is being research in relation to lung cancer.
- Litsea Cubeba Essential Oil
- Clove Essential oil due to the phenolic compound of Eugenol (which is 85% in Eugenia caryophyllata)
- Hawaiian Sandalwood Essential Oil (Santalum paniculatum) and Sandalwood (Santalum album) essential oil (skin tumour papilloma, and skin cancer cells).
- Lavender Essential Oil (Lavandula angustifolia) (lung, liver, colon)
- Lemon Essential Oil (Citrus Limon) (breast and colorectal cancer, squamous cell carcinoma of the skin) due to the presence of the Monoterpene d-Limonene (up to 72%)
- Lemongrass Essential Oil (Cymbopogon flexuosus) (liver cancer, colon cancer, human leukaemia cells) – due to either the component Alcohols Geraniol (up to 42%) and isointermedeol.
- Myrrh Essential Oil (Commiphora myrrha) (malignant brain tumour) due to the Sesquiterpene component elemenes.
- Wild Orange Essential Oil (Citrus sinensis) (squamous cell carcinoma) due to Monoterpene d-Limonene (doTERRA contains 90% d-Limonene)
- Rosemary Essential Oil (Rosmarinus officinalis CT 1,8 Cineol) (human leukaemia and breast carcinoma)
- Cinnamon Essential Oil (Cinnamomum zeylanicumN. Lauraceae)
Click on the heading above to read the answer to this question and statement.
Essential oils and Chemotherapy
- Please do not use essential oils internally whilst undergoing Chemotherapy. You should stop using them one week before Chemotherapy starts. This is a time of weakened immune system and you don’t want the essential oils to interfere with the Chemotherapy. You may use peppermint oil inhaled on a cotton ball to help with feelings of nausea. But please wait until one month after the Chemotherapy has finished and consult your medical practitioner. I have seen my father go through Chemo and the last thing you want to do is to make that time wasted time.
Robert Tisserand comments “After that time, frankincense oil may help with recovery of white blood cells, as also spearmint, dill and other essential oils.”